The Best Pillows
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
When it comes to choosing the right pillow to help you have a restful night’s sleep, it’s a good idea to begin by figuring out what your needs are. There are many different types of pillows available, so knowing more about how you sleep will help determine the right kind of pillow for you.
Start by considering which position you sleep in most often: on your back, on your side or on your stomach. This will affect the kind of head and neck support you will require. If you’re a back sleeper, then you’ll need something that is flat and firm, as compared to side sleepers who can use a more fluffy pillow. Stomach sleepers should go with a thin pillow so that their spine and neck are at a neutral angle.
Be sure to consider the type of mattress you have as well, as this will affect the comfort level of the pillow you need. For example, if you have a firm mattress, you may enjoy a soft and fluffy pillow. If your mattress does not offer a lot of support and enables you to sink into it, then a thin pillow might be the best option for you.
Our Picks For The Top Pillows
- 1. Beckham Luxury Linens Easy Clean Pillow, 2-Pack
- 2. Utopia Bedding Polyfiber Filled Pillows, 2-Pack
- 3. Coop Home Goods Non-Toxic Vegan Pillow
- 4. Viewstar Supportive Oeko-Tex Certified Pillows, 2-Pack
- 5. Celeep Hypoallergenic Classic Pillows, 2-Pack
- 6. Casper Sleep Breathable Removable Cover Pillow
- 7. Power Of Nature Ergonomic Contour Pillow
- 8. WEEKENDER Plush CertiPUR US Certified Pillow
- 9. Fern & Willow Hypoallergenic Gel Pillows, 2-Pack
- 10. Digital Decor Down Alternative Standard Pillows, 2-Pack
- 11. puredown Egyptian Cotton King Size Pillows, Set Of 2
- 12. BioPEDIC Antibacterial Hypoallergenic Standard Pillows, 4-Pack
- 13. Bedsure Hypoallergenic Standard Pillows, 2-Pack
- 14. JOLLYVOGUE Down Alternative Standard Pillows, 2-Pack
- 15. Sleepavo Memory Foam Pillows, 2-Pack
- 16. WonderSleep Adjustable Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow
- 17. NTCOCO Shredded Memory Foam King Size Pillows, Set Of 2
- 18. HIMOON GREENGUARD Cooling Pillows, 2-Pack
- 19. Utopia Bedding Cooling King Size Pillows, Set Of 2
- 20. AmazonBasics Polyester Microfiber Pillows, 2-Pack
Beckham Luxury Linens
Easy Clean Pillow, 2-Pack
You get maximum comfort with these soft gel fiber pillows. They are dust mite, mold and mildew resistant. Plus, they are ideal for all sleeping positions.
Soft and PlushThese luxury pillows are made from a plush gel fiber material.
Polyfiber Filled Pillows, 2-Pack
Thanks to the plush fiber fill, this pillow is able to offer maximum support. The pillows are also quite stylish, as they are made with blue piping and double stitching. Of course, the double stitching does more than just make the pillow attractive. It also adds to the strength and durability of the pillow.
Budget-Friendly OptionThis pillow is highly versatile and can be used by side, back and stomach sleepers.
Coop Home Goods
Non-Toxic Vegan Pillow
This fully customizable pillow lets you have a comfortable night’s sleep. You can add on or remove the memory foam filling to get the support you need. This pillow is Green Guard Gold Certified.
Upgrade PickYou can customize your pillow by adding or removing foam filling.
Supportive Oeko-Tex Certified Pillows, 2-Pack
This pillow features a breathable microfiber exterior along with a polyester filling to give you plumpness while still providing comfort. It's built with a side band that helps the pillow hold its shape. They're machine washable to allow you to not only wash your pillowcases, but your pillows, as well.
For Allergy SufferersThis pillow uses polyester filling rather than down to give you the benefits of down without the allergens.
What to Look For
- One of the most important elements to consider when buying a new pillow is the materials it is made from. This is especially critical if you suffer from allergies to materials like latex and buckwheat, both common pillow fillings. After all, you don’t want to end up sneezing and coughing all night as a result of your pillow. Down is another pillow filling people think about with allergens, but a lot of modern down is processed to remove allergens.
- Memory foam is another popular kind of pillow. Instead of having a filling inside, it’s made from one solid piece of polyurethane. These pillows are ideal if you like something that is more firm than fluffy. Memory foam conforms to your head shape and offers a lot of support.
- Be sure to check the maintenance and care instructions for your pillow. Many filled pillows can be cleaned in the washing machine on the cold setting, but memory foam pillows cannot. Some pillows can also go in the tumble dryer on a low setting. If you have allergies, be sure to wash your pillows on a regular basis to get rid of dust mites and other allergens.
More to Explore
Did you know your pillow can affect your sleeping temperature? If you’re a warm sleeper, you’ll want to make sure you get a breathable pillow that does not absorb heat. Otherwise, you’ll end up even warmer during the night. Opt for a pillow that is made from shredded foam or polyester for the coolest option. Pillows that are one solid piece will not be as effective in letting air flow through. Be wary of gel pillows. While they can feel cool initially, they may actually absorb heat throughout the night and make you feel warmer.