The Best Outdoor Pillow Set
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
If you have a patio or deck, you need special furniture for that area. Even if your outdoor seating is covered, it’s exposed to more moisture than indoor furniture typically experiences. Humidity and precipitation will eventually soak into the fabric and padding of any outdoor furniture you have.
But outdoor seating that isn’t covered has even more issues. The sun beats down on it all day, especially during the summer months. While this will dry your cushions out quicker, it also will easily fade the dyes and even break down certain fabrics over time.
Once you’ve bought your outdoor seating, you’ll also need pillows to serve as accents. They can even help you create a more comfortable area for you and your guests to sit. But just as you need to choose furniture that’s outdoor-ready, you also need to choose pillows with those specialized needs in mind.
The best fabric for the outdoors is polypropylene, which resists UV damage and also dries quickly when exposed to moisture. Its lack of dyes can additionally be a big help if you’re worried about fading.
MORE: The Best Outdoor Fabric
But the outer fabric of your pillows is only one concern. You’ll need to pay close attention to the filling. If your exterior is water-resistant, polyester fiberfill stuffing with a water-resistant cover will work fine. Outdoor pillows usually have this extra waterproofing built into their design.
Our Picks For The Top Outdoor Pillow Sets
- 1. Top Finel Fade Resistant Single-Sided Outdoor Pillow Set, 6-Pack
- 2. VIGVOG Cotton Hidden Zipper Outdoor Pillow Set, 4-Pack
- 3. YCOLL Geometric Fabric Outdoor Pillow Case Set, 4-Pack
- 4. Syntus Gingham Zippered Outdoor Pillow Set, 2-Pack
- 5. 4TH Emotion Machine Washable Outdoor Pillow Set, 2-Pack
- 6. Tosewever Boho Machine Washable Outdoor Pillow Cover Set, 4-Pack
- 7. MIULEE Hidden Zipper Outdoor Pillow Covers Set, 2-Pack
- 8. All Smiles Outdoor Patio Pillow Cover Set, 4-Pack
Fade Resistant Single-Sided Outdoor Pillow Set, 6-Pack
Decorate your patio furniture with this attractive outdoor pillow set. You'll receive six 18-inch by 18-inch covers, all in different geometric patterns. The covers themselves are made using a soft microfiber fabric and outfitted with invisible zippers.
Multiple Color OptionsYou'll find this outdoor pillow set comes in a choice of eight color schemes, including navy, burgundy and yellow.
Cotton Hidden Zipper Outdoor Pillow Set, 4-Pack
Available in 26 different prints and color combinations, this outdoor pillow set is a must. It includes four 18 inch by 18 inch pillow covers that are made using a waterproof fabric. The fabric is also fade-resistant, so leaving them out in the sun on your pool loungers isn't a problem.
Most VersatileWhile this outdoor pillow set looks great on a set of patio furniture, it also works to add a pop of color to your living room sofa or guest bed set.
Geometric Fabric Outdoor Pillow Case Set, 4-Pack
This outdoor pillow set includes four 18-by-18 pillow covers in a variety of colors. Made from linen, these covers are designed to resist moisture and humidity to keep your filler of choice protected against the elements. You'll need inserts sized 18 by 18, sold separately.
'Home Sweet Home' DesignAvailable in multiple colors, this four-piece set includes covers, one branded with the message "Home Sweet Home."
Gingham Zippered Outdoor Pillow Set, 2-Pack
If you're decorating a space using a farmhouse theme, this outdoor pillow set is the way to go. You can get the pillow covers in either a black and white or red and black buffalo check pattern. Since the fabric is high-quality, you won't have to worry about the covers pilling or fading over time.
Color Won't FadeThe two covers in this outdoor pillow set measure 18 inches by 18 inches.
What to Look For
- You can buy outdoor pillows, but you might be better off purchasing the material and filler separately. Make sure the cover is rated for outdoor use, and, for best results, get a water-resistant cover to protect your polyester stuffing.
- Most outdoor pillows and covers are sold in sets. This can come in handy if you have multiple chairs or sofas.
- Often the patterns on throw pillows are only on one side, with solid colors on the backside.
- If you buy a cover, it needs a zipper to allow you to insert the filling. Pay close attention to whether the zipper is visible once the stuffing is in place.
- Pillow stuffing will typically be sold in sizes of 18 by 18 or 20 by 20 inches. Whatever size you’re going for, make sure you can find filler for it.
- Outdoor throw pillows come in a wide range of designs, patterns and colors. You should be able to find an option that matches the décor you’ve chosen.
- One of the best things about purchasing a pillow cover with removable inserts is that you can clean them. Many are machine washable. Simply unzip it, remove the insert and toss it in the washer when it needs a refresh. You might need to hang it to dry rather than putting it in the dryer.
Outdoor Pillow Set Rankings
More to Explore
Although pillows date all the way back to 7,000 BCE, throw pillows began making their first appearance in Victorian-era Britain. They were a sign of affluence, which led to increased demand. During the Industrial Revolution, as textile production increased, throw pillows came into vogue. They were initially created using needlepoint and earned the name “scatter cushions.” The cost of dyes and materials meant only the wealthiest citizens could afford to scatter pillows, which meant the more you owned, the more you could impress your friends and neighbors. Owners of throw pillows scrambled to get the most popular patterns, which were often disseminated through magazines.