The Best Men’s Winter Jacket
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
The cold winter months can seem to last an eternity, but it’s much easier when you have a coat to keep you warm. This is especially important if you spend significant time outdoors. If you are heading for the ski slopes, you may need a warmer, more weather-resistant jacket than someone who merely needs to stay warm during those short trips from a car to a building.
MORE: The Best Men’s Jackets
Weather resistance is definitely a consideration in a jacket, no matter how you’ll be wearing it. When precipitation is falling, you need a jacket that will not only keep you warm, but will stop rain, ice or snow from penetrating the layers and making its way to your skin. The best jackets not only provide warmth but also keep you dry whether you’re on the slopes or waiting for your Uber ride on a busy city street.
But it can be tough to find a jacket that keeps you warm while also being lightweight enough to carry around with you. If you need to toss your jacket into a suitcase, a bulky, heavy coat can quickly become a problem. Added bulk can also make a jacket less comfortable than it would otherwise be. For that reason, some men prefer fleeces to traditional coats and jackets. The material provides warmth while still being lightweight enough for every occasion. Many lightweight jackets also use the latest materials to keep their build lightweight while still providing warmth during the most extreme temperature drops.
Pockets are also a consideration when you’re searching for a jacket. If you plan to slip your wallet or electronic devices inside, you’ll definitely want to be on the lookout for a jacket that’s waterproof and make sure the pockets include that safety feature. Having a safe, dry place to store your items can come in very handy whether you’re indulging in winter sports or just moving around town.
Our Picks For The Top Men's Winter Jackets
- 1. Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Jacket
- 2. Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka
- 3. Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket
- 4. DRI Duck Men’s Cheyenne Hooded Work Jacket
- 5. MAGCOMSEN Men’s Softshell Hunting Jacket
- 6. Boulder Creek Men’s Big & Tall Expedition Parka Coat
- 7. ZSHOW Men’s Winter Hooded Down Jacket
- 8. Columbia Men’s Steens Mountain Full Zip
- 9. Diamond Candy Men Hooded Waterproof Jacket
Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Jacket
The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Jacket is among the warmest jackets you'll find, making it ideal for extended use outdoors. In addition to the warming features it offers, this jacket is also waterproof, so you'll stay both warm and dry. With numerous pockets, you'll have storage for all your belongings, including one specifically designed ...
Best Overall OptionWith plenty of pockets and a design built to keep you warm and dry, this jacket is a great choice.
Men's Heavy Insulated Parka
Polyester construction gives the Caterpillar Men's Heavy Insulated Parka its warmth. Adjustable cuffs will keep air from getting in through the armholes. Numerous pockets will also help you keep all your items safe. In our testing, this jacket kept us very warm and we loved the many pockets for storage.
Most ConvenientThe small details with this jacket key to its warmth, including a polyester build and adjustable cuffs that keep air from getting in.
Men's Down Jacket
Tommy Hilfiger is a respected name in fashion, and the Tommy Hilfiger Men's Down Jacket lives up to that reputation. The down insulation keeps you warm without adding bulk, and the quilted outer shell helps keep water out. The design means it's both lightweight and warm, which makes it handy if you need to pack it for a trip. We loved that it came ...
Best Water-Resistant OptionIf you're looking for warmth without bulk, this jacket is the perfect choice.
Men's Steens Mountain Full Zip
Fleece jackets have become popular with consumers looking for a lightweight but warm option. The Columbia Men's Steens Mountain Full Zip is a great choice, especially if you don't spend a great deal of time outside or you don't live in areas that see subzero temperatures. You'll have numerous color options to help you find the look you want.
Best Lightweight OptionFor a lightweight jacket that provides warmth on cold winter days, you can't go wrong with a fleece jacket.
What to Look For
- If you’re shopping for a jacket, providing warmth is probably at the top of the list. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket excels in that area, offering 240g polyester fiber that offers some of the best protection against cold weather. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka also uses polyester construction, combined with a heavyweight insulation.
- Down feathers are often used in jackets to keep wearers warm without adding weight. The Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket includes down feather padding inside a quilted outer shell to insulate you from the cold weather.
- The attached gloves found on the Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket can come in handy. Just slip your thumb through the hole to keep your hands warm, no matter what you’re doing. You’ll also get elastic wristbands that velcro into place to keep air from seeping through the arms. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka uses adjustable cuffs to keep your arms warm.
- It’s also important to consider the weight of your chosen coat. If you aren’t spending hours at a time outdoors, the Columbia Men’s Steens Mountain Full Zip Soft Fleece may be a better choice. The fleece provides warmth without adding bulk. The Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket is also a good choice for those who want a warm jacket that they can easily toss into a suitcase or gym bag.
- When you add precipitation to the mix, an otherwise insulating jacket can quickly become a liability. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket performs best in this area, with a shell that’s both waterproof and wind repellent. Quilted jackets like the Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Down Jacket also do well in rainy conditions.
- Pockets come in especially handy during the winter months, giving you a place to store your car keys, electronic devices and wallet. The Wantdo Waterproof/Windproof Mountain Rain Jacket has two zippered hand pockets, one zippered chest pocket, one internal pocket and one internal pocket specifically designed to keep your electronic devices dry and secure. The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka features four large front pockets, including one on the arm, and multiple interior pockets, including one specifically designed for device storage.
Men's Winter Jacket Rankings
More to Explore
Mankind has always struggled to find warmth during the coldest conditions, going all the way back to the Inuits in Canada. Eskimo women crafted coats from the insides of seals and whales, with the results coated in fish oil. Going by the name amauti, these coats included drawstrings for the hoods and a pouch to help moms keep babies warm. One of the most interesting inventions, though, came from Eddie Bauer, which began when the designer was on a fishing trip in 1935. His battle with hypothermia inspired him to create a winter coat to beat all others, which is what led to the first down jacket.