The Best Large Tote Bag
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
While most fashion trends come and go, there’s an enduring accessory that never seems to go out of style: the tote bag. In the mid-1960s, L.L. Bean introduced its “Boat and Tote,” which became popular for seaside adventures on the East Coast. Since then, the bag has become a trendy yet practical accessory that has made appearances everywhere from the runway and designer shelves to gyms, airports and grocery stores.
Large tote bags are sold in a rainbow of sizes, shapes and designs. They can be made from natural or synthetic leather, canvas, plastic, cotton, polyester and other materials. No matter what features you’re seeking—multiple pockets, a waterproof lining, adjustable straps, a goes-with-everything design, etc.—there’s a large tote bag out there that will satisfy your needs, desires and budget. Some brands like L.L. Bean give buyers the option to customize their bags with their name or initials, while others are emblazoned with statement-making phrases or designs.
Perfect for toting anything your heart desires, whether it’s a laptop, cosmetics or groceries, a large tote bag is a useful accessory that every consumer should have in their closet. Not sure which bag is best for your needs? We’re here to help.
Our Picks For The Top Large Tote Bags
- 1. MONSTINA USB Port & Laptop Compartment Large Tote Bag
- 2. Cloele Corduroy Fabric Magnetic Closure Large Tote Bag
- 3. ECOSUSI PU Leather Adjustable Handles Large Tote Bag
- 4. DALIX Zippered Top Cotton Canvas Large Tote Bag
- 5. Household Essentials Water-Resistant Vinyl Lining Large Tote Bag
- 6. BALEINE Waterproof Fabric Foldable Large Tote Bag
- 7. ESVAN Mesh Water Bottle Pockets Large Tote Bag
USB Port & Laptop Compartment Large Tote Bag
Made with high-grade nylon and polyurethane leather, the tote bag has the capacity to fit a 15.6-inch laptop and all of your essentials, from books and office supplies to cosmetics and clothing.
Super RoomyThis tote bag is large enough to fit most laptops and all sizes of tablets and has a waterproof exterior.
Corduroy Fabric Magnetic Closure Large Tote Bag
A magnetic closure keeps your items secure, while the corduroy construction gives the bag a fashion-forward appearance. The machine-washable accessory is perfect for travel, grocery shopping or working out.
Trendy PickThis corduroy bag is available in a variety of vibrant colors, including yellow, forest green, red, blue, pink, white and brown.
PU Leather Adjustable Handles Large Tote Bag
This work bag is equipped with three compartments (a padded middle pocket protects laptops that are 15.6-inch wide or smaller), an adjustable handle and two smaller side compartments that are ideal for storing your phone and other essentials.
Work ReadyUpgrade your office wardrobe with this briefcase-style beauty, which is made with synthetic leather.
Zippered Top Cotton Canvas Large Tote Bag
This canvas tote bag is a must-have for any closet. It has a zipper closure and one outer pocket and is available in several colors and designs, from basic white with grey trim to white with black trim accented with banana prints.
Practical AccessoryWhether you’re looking for a reusable shopping bag or versatile travel tote, this canvas accessory delivers.
What to Look For
Many canvas or cotton totes are washable, a feature that can extend the life of your bag. Check the manufacturers’ directions to find out if the product is suitable for a spin in your washing machine.
Because they can hold larger items (think: liters of soda and cereal boxes) and are foldable for easy storage when not in use, collapsible totes are ideal for grocery shopping. These are also great organization tools for your car or closet.
If you’re looking for a bag with computer storage, consider purchasing a briefcase-style bag or option with a padded laptop compartment. Be sure to carefully check the dimensions of the tote to ensure your laptop will fit inside.
Large Tote Bag Rankings
More to Explore
- L.L. Bean is credited for making the tote bag a fashion icon. In 1944, the company released a canvas bag designed to carry blocks of ice home from the retail store. It was marketed for “toting ice home” and featured a double-layered base to keep meltwater in its place to prevent spillage. While the carrier was only featured in the Maine-based company’s iconic catalog for one season, it reemerged in 1965 as the L.L. Bean Boat and Tote—which would become a top-selling accessory with a vast, ever-changing product line.
- Calling all fashionistas: One of the largest tote bags to shake up the style world in recent history is Open Ceremony’s Super Large Tote, an over-size rendition of the logo’s popular tote. Made of PVC plastic, the giant accessory is 27 inches tall and 46 inches wide and will set you back about $100.