The Best Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool
We looked at the top 12 Brake Caliper Wind Back Tools and dug through the reviews from 8 of the most popular review sites including and more. The result is a ranking of the best Brake Caliper Wind Back Tools.
Check out the best-selling automotive products on Amazon.com
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Whether you’re a professional auto mechanic or you simply enjoy completing your own vehicle repairs, you need a quality set of tools to get the job done right. If changing out your brake pads is on your to-do list, then you’ll need a brake caliper wind back tool set. It’s important that you know exactly what you’re looking for before you buy, which is why we created this helpful guide to assist you in your search.
The first thing you want to do is check that the brake caliper wind back tool is compatible with your vehicle. Some models come with a list of vehicles that the tool can be used with, while others come with a complete set of adapters that work on most vehicles, including both foreign and domestic.
Next, you want to make sure the set is designed to last by examining its construction. The Orion Motor Tech Disc Brake Caliper Spreader Set, 24-Piece, for example, is made from a solid carbon steel with a rust-proof and blasted finish. Not only will this set stand the test of time, but it also won’t break when dropped accidentally.
Since most brake caliper wind back tools are sold in a set, you’ll want to take inventory of what you’re getting. The MOSTPLUS Universal Disc Brake & Piston Set, 22-Pc comes with 18 disc adapters, right and lefthanded thrust bolts and two retainer plates. Like most other brake caliper wind back tool sets, you’ll also get a heavy-duty plastic storage case that keeps the pieces neatly organized.
Finally, check to see if the brake caliper wind back tool set has any added features that make replacing the brake pads easier. There are models that include a pair of complimentary rubber gloves. Some use a pneumatic compressor tool with a swivel handle that turns both clockwise and counterclockwise. That means you can use it on both the right- and left-hand threaded pistons.
Our Picks For The Top Brake Caliper Wind Back Tools
- 1. Thorstone Universal Professional Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool, 24-Piece
- 2. ATP Complete Rust-Proof Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool, 23-Piece
- 3. Orion Motor Tech Universal Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set, 24-Piece
- 4. MOSTPLUS Anti-Rust Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set, 22-Piece
- 5. ARES 18023 Air Powered Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set, 23-Piece
- 6. ABN Long-Lasting Caliper Disc Brake Wind Back Tool Kit, 18-Piece
- 7. Neiko 20733A Mechanic’s Disc Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Kit, 12-Piece
- 8. EWK Pneumatic Air Rear Disc Brake Caliper Wind Back Service Tool Set, 16-Piece
- 9. Astro 78618 Damage Preventing Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set, 18-Piece
- 10. 8MILELAKE Organizing Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set, 24-Piece
- 11. Mastercool 43050 Magnetic Base Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Kit, 15-Piece
- 12. DASBET Carbon Steel Brake Caliper Wind Back Repair Tool Kit, 22-Piece
Universal Professional Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool, 24-Piece
This professionally-designed brake caliper wind back tool set comes neatly organized in a hard storage case. Each piece is constructed using a durable carbon steel that won't rust, so you can count on the set lasting. Additionally, since the tools have a universal design, they work on most vehicle makes and models.
Two Color OptionsYou'll find this brake caliper wind back tool comes in a choice of black or blue.
Complete Rust-Proof Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool, 23-Piece
Whether you're working on American, Japanese or European cars, this brake caliper wind back tool set has you covered. The set includes 18 disc adapters, right and left-handed thrust bolts, two retaining plates and a pair of gloves. All are safely packed inside a hard storage case, which includes a handle for easy transport.
Universal DesignThe instructions that come with this brake caliper wind back tool set are easy to follow, making the set perfect for beginners.
Orion Motor Tech
Universal Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set, 24-Piece
You don't want to be without this brake caliper wind back tool when replacing your brake pads. It keeps the pistons from becoming damaged and speeds up the time needed to complete the job. The set includes everything you need, even a pair of rubber gloves.
Rubber Gloves IncludedWith your brake caliper wind back tool purchase, you'll receive a complimentary pair of rubber-coated gloves.
Anti-Rust Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set, 22-Piece
Since this brake caliper wind back tool includes 22 pieces, it's nice that it comes with a carrying case to keep the pieces neatly organized. Each of the 18 adapters are clearly labeled for easy identification. You'll find that the adapters work best with 4-wheel drive cars and trucks.
Convenient Carrying CaseThis brake caliper wind back tool is best used with 4-wheel drive cars and trucks.
Why we recommend these brake caliper wind back tools?
Expert Reviews Included
User Opinions Analyzed
Our experts reviewed the top 12 Brake Caliper Wind Back Tools and also dug through the reviews from 8 of the most popular review sites including and more. The result is a ranking of the best of the best Brake Caliper Wind Back Tools.
DWYM is your trusted roduct review source. Our team reviews thousands of product reviews from the trusted top experts and combines them into one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
What to Look For
- Always clean each of the brake caliper wind back tool pieces before placing them back in their case. You can do this quickly with a tube of stainless steel cleaning wipes. Another option is to use a bit of WD-40 and a lint-free rag.
- It’s good practice to inspect your brake pads at every oil change. This is sort of like changing out the batteries in your smoke detector every season. You want to replace the brake pads before they become dangerous to use, not after.
- The amount of time it takes to wear out your brake pads is dependent upon several factors. How often you drive, what type of terrain you drive on, how hard you brake and the speed at which you drive all play a part in determining how quickly your brake pads wear thin.
- Since most brake caliper wind back tool sets come with a different number of pieces, you can’t accurately compare prices without first finding out how much you’re paying per piece. When you divide the total cost of the set by the total number of included pieces, you’ll get this figure. The Orion Motor Tech Disc Brake Caliper Spreader Set, 24-Piece and the MOSTPLUS Universal Disc Brake & Piston Set, 22-Pc and the most affordable sets among the bunch. You’ll pay more for a model that comes with a pneumatic compressor tool.
Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Rankings
More to Explore
Brake caliper wind back tool sets are used to assist in the changing of your brake pads, but how do you know when it’s time to change the pads? Since brake pads are necessary to bring your car to a full stop, this is one vehicle maintenance chore that you don’t want to neglect. Fortunately, there are a few warning signs that will alert you to the need to change your brake pads. They include:
- Brakes that become less responsive.
- When the lining of the brake pads reaches 3 to 4 millimeters in thickness (from its original 12 millimeters).
- Brakes that begin to squeal or screech when you press on them.
- When you notice the indicator light glowing on your vehicle’s dashboard (if your car offers this feature).
- When the brake pedal begins to feel differently after you’ve been using it for a while.