The Best Bolster Pillow
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
People buy bolster pillows for many different reasons. These pillows can be used to help people with medical conditions like sciatica and arthritis, as well as pregnant women, because they provide extra neck, back and joint support. Bolster pillows are also good for massage tables and yoga practice. Of course, when they are bought for purely decorative reasons, the shape and cover will likely be the main concerns.
The type of bolster pillow you choose should correspond to the kind of support you’re seeking. Those made with memory foam have firmer support, while those filled with microbeads, cotton or down are more flexible. Some are square, some are rectangular and others are cylinder-shaped. The latter works well in back of the neck and knees.
When shopping, be sure to read about the bolster pillow’s cover. The material will be against your body, unless you put the pillow inside a pillowcase. Look for hypoallergenic materials made of soft microfiber, bamboo and organic cotton. Also check to see if the pillow itself is made of hypoallergenic material.
Our Picks For The Top Bolster Pillows
- 1. 5 STARS UNITED Multipurpose Anti-Pilling Bolster Pillow
- 2. BeautifulLife Orthopedic Dual Layer Bolster Pillow
- 3. AJNA Eco-Friendly Ergonomic Bolster Pillow
- 4. Node Fitness GOTS Certified Ergonomic Bolster Pillow
- 5. REEHUT Removable Case Sponge Bolster Pillow
- 6. Cozy Hut Lightweight Conforming Bolster Pillow
- 7. Tinbolunce Machine Washable Bolster Pillow
- 8. AllSett Health Therapeutic Hypoallergenic Bolster Pillow
- 9. Coop Home Goods Orthopedic PVC-Free Bolster Pillow
- 10. Cushy Form Wedge Improved Circulation Bolster Pillow
- 11. Everlasting Comfort Pain Relieving Non-Toxic Bolster Pillow
- 12. Healthex Ergonomic Cervical Bolster Pillow
- 13. EarthLite Eco-Friendly Foam Bolster Pillow
- 14. Ka Ua Memory Foam Cervical Bolster Pillow
- 15. Cushie Pillows Cylindrical Back Support Bolster Pillow
5 STARS UNITED
Multipurpose Anti-Pilling Bolster Pillow
Available in gray or white, this bolster pillow is both functional and stylish. It's constructed using soft, but supportive memory foam and comes in the shape of a half moon. It works well for all sleeper types, including back, side and stomach sleepers.
Washable CoverWhen this bolster pillow gets a bit dirty, simply remove the cover and toss it in the washing machine.
Orthopedic Dual Layer Bolster Pillow
Whether you are a side, back or stomach sleeper, this bolster pillow has you covered. It has a half-moon shape and is made from a comfortable memory foam. The memory foam is hypoallergenic and the entire pillow comes with an organic cotton cover the is a cinch to wash. That means you won't have to worry about the pillow irritating your allergies.
Super Supportive This bolster pillow is also an excellent choice after surgery or during a pregnancy.
Eco-Friendly Ergonomic Bolster Pillow
Not only is this bolster pillow made using organic materials, but it's also vegan-friendly. The pillow is designed to provide just the right amount of support when exercising or relaxing. You can get the pillow in one of seven colors, including amethyst, rose quartz and emerald.
Sleek and StylishYou won't have any trouble keeping this bolster pillow looking like new, as the cover is machine washable.
GOTS Certified Ergonomic Bolster Pillow
Constructed from 100% cotton, this bolster pillow is both soft and comfortable. It's an excellent support tool when stretching or relaxing with a good book. The cover is machine washable and made with a handle should you wish to take your workout outside.
Multiple Color OptionsYou'll find this bolster pillow comes in a choice of seven colors, including burgundy, midnight blue and teal.
What to Look For
- Some bolster pillows come with an extra foam insert for added support.
- Bolster pillows make great gifts for expectant moms. Not only can they making sleeping more comfortable, they can provide support when nursing and can be used to prop a baby up.
- Get a few bolster pillows for the couches in your family room. They can make watching television, gaming and just hanging out more comfortable.
- They can even be used after surgery or as part or a rehabilitation regime after an injury.
Bolster Pillow Rankings
More to Explore
In addition to all the therapeutic uses described above, bolster pillows can be used in other ways. They have been known to ease upset stomachs. To use one for this, lie on it face down, with your stomach on top of the bolster. Then, gently roll back and forth and side to side, and this should ease gas pains.
Cylinder-shaped bolster pillows can also be placed at the bottom of doors to stop cold air from coming in. This can actually save you money on your heating bill. You may want to wrap it in an old sheet or a pillowcase to keep it clean, though.