The Best 5-Inch Running Shorts For Women
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
Running shorts have a few benefits you won’t get from other shorts, and there are some features that are important, especially if you’ll be wearing your shorts on your daily run.
One thing that sets running shorts apart from other types is the liner. This is designed to wick moisture if you sweat during your workout. Since the liner is right up against your body, you’ll want to make sure you have a good fit with no chafing. Running shorts also have an outer layer of different material that’s designed to keep you dry, too.
Another way to go is to wear compression shorts that wick moisture while also preventing chafing. This type of athletic wear has a tight fit that’s designed to support your muscles while you walk, run or work out. Some people like the feel of compression shorts, while others prefer the looser fabric of traditional running shorts.
If you go with shorts that aren’t so snug, it’s important to look for a seam designed to keep them from riding up while you move. Longer shorts offer more coverage, but they don’t give you the freedom of movement that you get with their much shorter counterparts. They also can build up more moisture, especially on a hot day.
Running shorts aren’t just for running. You can wear them around the house, during your daily workouts and while walking or hiking.
Our Picks For The Top 5-Inch Running Shorts For Women
- 1. BALEAF Women’s 5-Inch Quick Dry Running Shorts
- 2. BALEAF Women’s 5-Inch High Waist Compression Running Shorts
- 3. Blevonh Women’s 5-Inch Pocketed Running Shorts
- 4. Liberty Imports Women’s Quick Dry Running Shorts, 5-Pack
- 5. C9 Champion Women’s 5-Inch Knit Sport Short
- 6. Nike Women’s 5-Inch Dry Running & Training Shorts
- 7. New Balance Women’s Impact Run 5-Inch Short
Women's 5-Inch Knit Waistband Running Shorts
These quick-dry shorts are made from a polyester-spandex blend that helps resist moisture to keep you dry. The elastic waistband is not only comfortable, but it also includes an internal hidden pocket for storing your valuables. The shorts themselves have two side pockets and a zippered back pocket.
Supportive and BreathableThese running shorts are both comfortable and supportive, making it easy to do your daily workouts.
Women's 5-Inch High Waist Compression Running Shorts
The side pockets on these biker shorts give you a handy place to store your phone and other items during your workout. It's designed with a longer inseam to keep the shorts in place while you move and to prevent chafing. The moisture-wicking fabric helps keep you dry.
Compression ShortsThese biker shorts feature compression benefits.
Women's Banded Waist Running Shorts
Made with a polyester-spandex blend, these shorts have a lightweight, comfortable build. A built-in liner beneath the top layer will ensure you stay covered while you move. The design of the side pockets will ensure items like your keys and smartphone stay in place even when you're running.
Lightweight FabricThe lightweight polyester fabric of these shorts helps keep you comfortable and dry.
Women's Quick Dry Running & Workout Shorts, 5-Pack
You'll get five pairs of shorts, each made from a polyester-spandex material designed to be both lightweight and moisture wicking. The 5-inch inseam keeps the shorts in place while you move, and an internal drawstring in the elastic waistband helps you customize your fit. You can choose from two different color assortments and sizes from XS to XL.
5 Pairs of ShortsThis set includes five pairs of women's running shorts in varying colors.
What to Look For
- Some running shorts come with pockets built in. This can be extremely helpful for storing your phone, keys or identification if you’re running or working out at a location where no lockers are available.
- If you plan to use the pockets, consider how you’ll secure the items. Zippers and Velcro fasteners will give you the peace of mind of knowing your valuables won’t be tossed out while you’re running or working out.
- If you run before sunrise or after sundown, a pair of shorts with reflective features could make you more visible to passing vehicles.
- Most running shorts have elastic waistbands. Make sure the shorts you choose have waistbands that won’t become uncomfortable. Some use drawstrings to let you adjust the fit.
- Running shorts are designed to be worn without underwear to prevent chafing and promote airflow. That’s where liners can come in — you can get both shorts and underwear in one. But you can also buy underwear that’s ideal for running. It’s all about making sure you have proper coverage while also getting breathability and moisture-wicking features.
- Stylishness is naturally a consideration. You can find women’s running shorts in a variety of colors and styles. But make sure you aren’t sacrificing the features you need for a pair of shorts that looks great.
5-Inch Running Short For Women Rankings
More to Explore
Over time, we learn more about the human body, especially when it comes to strenuous activities like running. As evidence, there’s the fact that at one time, runners drank champagne for energy during runs. It started in the 1800s, when runners were advised to down large amounts of champagne during competitions. That continued into the 1900s, with trainers and assistants handing champagne to them along their running paths. Other treatments included strychnine, otherwise known as rat poison, and heroin and cocaine for pain and to increase aggressiveness. As experts learned more about alcohol’s dehydrating effects, alcohol was switched with water and, later, electrolyte-filled drinks and powders.