400,000 HoMedics handheld massagers recalled for fire risk

Do you know someone who owns one of these massagers?

HoMedics

Handheld massagers are the thrifty person’s answer to a full-body shiatsu. They’re relatively inexpensive and can yield serious relaxation powers after a hard day at the office. But you know what’s not relaxing? When the massager lights on fire. Which is exactly why the HoMedics brand recalled 400,000 of their own handheld massagers. Whoops.

 

home 3
Consumer Product Safety Commission

Recalled Massagers Caught Fire

The recall came after a complaint from a customer earlier this year who claimed the massager caught fire where the power cord enters the handle.

“I saw that the power cord had a short circuit where it enters the handle and the insulation was burned through,” the complaint reads in part. “Fortunately I was wearing sweat shirt at the time and it had a hole burned through it in the back.”

The initial complaint was investigated. Now, an official report from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports a total of 140 reports of “exposed wires, sparks, smoking and some shooting flames coming from the massagers.”

home2
Consumer Product Safety Commission

And of those 140 reports, the CPSC says 15 people have reported burns as a result of the HoMedics massager malfunction. The incendiary massagers were sold at Bed Bath & Beyond, Macy’s, Rite-Aid, Walmart, HSN and other stores nationwide. They sold for an average retail price of $30 to $50 from August 2013 through February 2017.

The HoMedics recall includes three different handheld massager models:

  • HHP-375H model Handheld Dual Node Percussion Massager with Heat
  • HHP-250 model Handheld Hot and Cold Massager,
  • PA-MH-THP model Handheld Compact Percussion Massager with Heat.

Get A Refund

Therefore, if you bought one of the massagers in a vain attempt to knead out the knot in your lower back, the CPSC says to stop using it immediately. Then contact HoMedics at 1-888-803-0509 for instructions on how to safely remove the cord. The company will offer credit or a full refund to its customers with affected massagers.

So be careful out there, friends. Relaxation can be dangerous.

Sponsored Content

Latest Stories

Advertisement