Would you believe that you could have the equivalent of a winning lottery ticket stashed in your wallet right now? It may sound too good to be true, but it’s not!
There are $1 bills currently in circulation that may be worth hundreds, potentially even thousands of dollars, and it all comes down to the serial number printed on the bill—and you could have one already in your possession.
While most people are familiar with antique coins being worth more than their face value, the same goes for $1 bills with specific serial numbers.
The website CoolSerialNumbers.com has created a list of the most sought-after $1 bills, and it’s a fairly long list. With over 90 different combinations of serial numbers listed, what they’re really looking for is an unusual number pattern or specific sequencing of the numbers.
For example, here are few of the things CoolSerialNumbers.com is looking for on $1 bills:
- Seven repeating numbers in a row
- Seven numbers of the same kind (in no particular order)
- Numbers that super repeat (i.e., 898989898)
- Double Quads, which is four repeating numbers followed by another set of four repeating numbers
- Trailing zeros, which are any serial numbers that end in 00
There are actually some serial number requests that get pretty specific too, so if you’re interested in downloading the entire list, you can do so over at CoolSerialNumbers.com and print them all out on one nicely organized page.